Microsoft: 360 may not even be at mid-cycle yet

2005 to present, began with the Xbox 360 and continued with the PlayStation 3 and Wii
Zap!
Zap! Commander

Microsoft: 360 may not even be at mid-cycle yet

Post by Zap! »

It's clear that the current console cycle is shaping up to be longer than any previous, as major platform holders Sony and Microsoft get ready to roll out motion control tech they hope will extend the lifecycle.

Sony's known for having always expressed its commitment to the long-haul, shooting for the same ten-year lifecycle for the PlayStation 3 that it saw with the PlayStation 2. Now Microsoft is now more boldly asserting its commitment to the Xbox 360 for as far as the eye can presently see, in new comments from CES reported by the UK Guardian.

"I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us," senior director of Xbox product management David Hufford said. "There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal."

"The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet," Hufford added -- noting that the company had no plans to enhance or update the Xbox 360 with the kind of hardware streamline that benefited Sony with its less-expensive PS3 Slim.

"We love our prices right now," said Hufford. "I don't want to say that technology stops, but...we think we're in a good place now heading into the Natal era."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2675 ... le_Yet.php
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

nathanallan1

Re: Microsoft: 360 may not even be at mid-cycle yet

Post by nathanallan1 »

Not even mid-cycle? Designed for a long use?? There's too much wrong with it just going by the hardware failure rates to say anything like that. Heck, the original Xboxes are outliving the 360 :( My Atari 2600 has outlived everything so far!!

Maybe they ought to restate and redefine, the newest architecture after the first few years of trying to get it right will las a long time.

I'm not a fan.
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

triverse

Re: Microsoft: 360 may not even be at mid-cycle yet

Post by triverse »

The failure rate of the 360 is the one reason I haven't moved to this generation of consoles (I really wanted to too, especially to support the retro releases that I like but not with that kind of failure rate going on).